Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"When I was a kid, I had a blog" - Me =)

So, normally I criticize people who have blogs seeing them as people who are unlinked with reality due to the fact that they get online and talk for pages about themselves. I always believed that no one really cared about your life, your thoughts, or your weekend, besides yourself, your family, and maybe your significant other, but even sometimes men are caught not listening. But then I started getting into social networking and the media department at work and it changed my opinion greatly.

At work I am in charge of two blogs, three facebook accounts, four twitter accounts, and an interactive online website regarding the world's public domain patents. To me it sounds like the 12 Days of Social Networking rather than Christmas. And, most days I would rather have 12 pipers piping over uploading my boss's face onto his twitter account. But do not get me wrong, I love my job and my boss's face, I just like Christmas more.

So I started checking out my friends twitters and blogs, like my cousin's and one of my sorority sister's. I just wanted a taste of what they post so I knew what would be good content for blogs and tweets. Now I am guilty as charged with a twitter and blogger account. I am even to the point where I tweeted at The New York Yankee's right fielder Nick Swisher yesterday about his awesome performance on How I Met Your Mother. Sad and pathetic, I know, yet oh so addicting... and I don't mean twitter, I mean Nick Swisher. ;-}

But for real, when did this revolution of social networking come about and why was I apparently a bear in hibernation? Or maybe I was pretending that I had better things to do with my time? This answer I will never know but I do know one thing for sure, I am hooked. And the worst part is, I do not expect people to read my thoughts, opinions, and anything else I deem "blogable" but I am going to write them anyway because why not. When my grand kids have bar-codes embedded in their wrists and flying cars, I can look at them and instead of saying, "When I was a kid, I walked 20 miles to school.", I can say, "When I was a kid, I had a blog!".